Choosing Between a Manual and Automatic License
In the state of Victoria, the type of driver’s license you obtain will impact the car you are able to drive while on a probationary license. If you choose to obtain an automatic license, you will be restricted to only driving vehicles with automatic transmission throughout your P1 and P2 license periods.
While you are then legally able to drive a manual car once you proceed to a full license, many new drivers find the extra requirements of a manual vehicle challenging without having completed a learning period under guidance with a qualified driving instructor.
Learning to drive in a manual car gives you the option to drive either a manual or automatic vehicle on both your probationary and full license.
Many new drivers will choose to learn to drive an automatic because it is easier to learn and can be quicker to master. For a learner attempting to navigate traffic, road rules and varied driving conditions this can take away an additional level of complexity. While this may be easier in the short term, there are a number of reasons having a manual license will provide long term benefits and flexibility.
The Benefits of Manual Driving Lessons
- Learning in a manual vehicle provides the support of a qualified driving instructor as you learn to drive. Your instructor can provide education on driving skills as well as how to understand the function and performance of your manual car
- Avoid the need to upskill or pay for additional lessons once on your full license if you decide to drive a manual car
- Having a manual license provides more options in buying (or renting) a vehicle as well as the flexibility of being able to drive both manual and automatic cars
- A manual car allows more control over your driving as well as being more in tune with the performance of your vehicle
- A manual car can be more fuel efficient and less costly to maintain
- Manual drivers often feel more confident on the road due to having greater control over their vehicle
Manual Driving Lessons at Hi-Way Driving School
Our driving instructors at Hi-Way Driving School are fully qualified and experienced in teaching new drivers in manual vehicles. Our driver training vehicles are modern, safe and have dual control capability, ensuring you feel safe and confident during your lessons.
Our instructors are patient and can tailor your lessons to your individual needs and learning style to give you the best experience possible while learning to drive. We help you become confident with the operation of a manual car as well as teaching you to navigate the road with ease.
Manual driving lessons available for drivers throughout Melbourne’s Northern suburbs including Bundoora, Mill Park, Greensborough, Doreen, Watsonia, Diamond Creek and surrounding suburbs.
Book a lesson with Hi-Way Driving School today on 03 9467 5999.